Tuesday, February 6, 2007

CBRX Celebration

Ridgeland, MS, FEB 05, 2007 --
Columbia Laboratories Inc (CBRX) shares, down 70%, where falling on news that its Phase III clinical trial of progesterone for the prevention of preterm birth in women with a previous preterm birth earlier than 35 weeks gestation did not achieve any reduction in the incidence of preterm birth at week 32, the primary endpoint, or at weeks 28, 35 and 37, secondary endpoints of the study.

Let me qualify my celebration after reading the above news clip. I certainly do not celebrate the failure of a drug that could prevent preterm births. What I celebrate is the after 4 weeks of waiting for the results of the clinical trials, my straddle on CBRX paid off.

6 month chart for CBRXI opened a March $5 straddle on Jan 3 after reading an article about the expected announcement some time in Feb. My experiences with Drug companies tells me that these clinical trial can make or break a company. The only safe way to trade this would be to bet on a big move in either direction. If you don't understand the option straddle strategy, I suggest searching Investopedia. (I've included a search box on the left)

My original purchase of the March $5 call and the March $5 put cost me $2.60 total. Obviously I was expecting for a big move in either direction. With the stock at only $5.00, I know my downside would be limited but my upside could be huge. My hoping that my calls make a ton of cash and the puts become worthless.

The stock moved sideways for 4 weeks at a price just below $5.00 and the lower volatility and the time value eating away, I was starting to losing money on both options. That's the way is is with a straddle, if the stock doesn't move, you lose money.

Yesterday the stock gapped down 70% and 22 million shares traded at $1.50. This is more than a 3300% volume spike. For the novice, this is a sign that the company has some bad news. I will be closing my March $5 put this morning for $3.50 for a 34% gain in 4 weeks. I will hold the March $5 call and let it expire worthless.

If you are going to play with drug stocks, play both sides.

No comments: